WILD CARD (PART 9) "Can Someone Not Pretend In Peace? Must Your Husband Know You So Well?" - Sirealsilver

728x90 AdSpace

WILD CARD (PART 9) "Can Someone Not Pretend In Peace? Must Your Husband Know You So Well?"


"Madam, where are you going?" Aisha asked.
It was just the two of us now, as Toke had finished her housemanship program and she was posted to serve in Plateau state.


Aisha and I had gotten closer in Toke's absence.

"Chuks says he has seen an apartment I would love, he wants us to go check it together this morning."

"Oh, that's cool, where's the place?" She asks.

"I didn't bother to ask o, I'll feed you back on the place when I get back."

"You better", she said smiling.
 
"I might come back late because of the family function I'll be following Mukthar to."

"Hmmm. Haji and Hajia are going out today. Na wa." I said with a smile.

"Stop it now, you have taken over the teasing mantle ever since Toke left. I miss her."

"Me too, but life goes on. Soon you'll be leaving too, I'm just happy my wedding is just few days before you leave. That way, it's as if we are leaving this place together."

"True, I can't imagine only one of us being left alone in this apartment. I'm really happy for you. I pray Mukthar's Dad comes back from Egypt soon so we can finalise our Nikkah arrangements too."

"Don't worry, things will sort themselves out. I have to go now. Bye."

"Bye. See you later."
_______________________________________
"Darling, I ran into one of my friends in uni today; well not really a close friend. He travelled out after we graduated. He says he lives close by; And his wife just put to bed last week. He is Yoruba and the naming ceremony is tomorrow."

Chukwudi informs me as he enters the bathroom to take a shower.

It's been almost two years since I met Chukwudi on the hospital corridor that fateful evening.

Our wedding was a success, not too big as both of us agreed not to waste money on an occasion that would last just a few hours.

I had completed my housemanship and in my service year. My marriage certificate had influenced my posting, so I'm serving with the military hospital in the barracks in Porthacourt.

God has been good to us, my husband's job is going fine, we have a comfortable apartment in..., we have two cars and best of all, I'm expecting our first child.

"OK. That's good." I responded as I set the table for dinner.

"I would like us to attend, that's if you're up for it." He says as he comes into the living room while wearing a tee shirt.

"I'm off duty tomorrow, but my plan was to rest at home. In fact, spend the whole day in bed."

"Awww, that means I'll go alone then, you need all the rest you can get, I understand." He responds as he holds me and rubs my protruding tummy.

"So how are my two favourite people doing today?"

"We are fine, you are asking for like the tenth time since you came in twenty minutes ago.

"Am I not allowed to ask?"

"You are, but let's eat first. I'm hungry, or should I say: we are hungry?"

We laugh and settle down to eat dinner.
_______________________________________
"I am so bored. I imagined this day off would be good for me, but it's been such a bore without you at home. Now you're back, you want to attend the naming ceremony and leave me behind again. I will not take it o."

I start sulking. I don't want my husband to leave me alone in the house.

"OK, I won't go. I'll stay with you and apologise to my friend when I see him. We were never close anyways, so there's no problem."

"I don't want to be the reason you don't attend, so, let's go together. " I try to sound non challant as I'd rather be anywhere but the house.

"I see what you're doing, you are tired of staying home but don't want to admit. Anyway, just get dressed and let's go."

"Can someone not pretend in peace? Must your husband know you so well?"
_______________________________________
Chuks' friend's house turned out not to be far from ours. It's a beautiful place with just two apartments in the compound.

The whole street is littered with beautiful cars, definitely belonging to the other guests.

We enter the compound and see nothing less than seventy guests on seat under a big tent and they're obviously enjoying themselves. The tables are full of plates of food, bottles of assorted drinks, and what have you.

We try to look around for seats and maybe a familiar face or two, But I'm getting impatient to sit down as I hear:

"Aunty Ify, aunty Ifeoma, sister."

I keep looking around, searching for who could know me by name in this place.

Suddenly, the young lady jumps in front of me, hugs and holds me tight.

I try my best not to push this stranger away, as it seems she truly knows me.

"Sister, it's been a long time." She goes on. After she releases me from her hug, she looks at me and it's only then that she realises I can't recognise her. Hubby and I just keep looking in surprise.

Before I could ask her who she was;

"Sister, I can see you don't recognise me, but I won't introduce myself to you, just follow me to greet the mother of the baby we are naming. At least you're here for the naming ceremony. "

I nod in agreement, hubby drops the plastic chair he just managed to get me and follows suit.

This lady couldn't be more than twenty years old, tall, dark and beautiful. With full long hair.
 
#fiction
#friendship
#girlchild

All rights reserved
 
Written By Tolulope Fakayode-Faniran
WILD CARD (PART 9) "Can Someone Not Pretend In Peace? Must Your Husband Know You So Well?" Reviewed by sirealsilver on June 14, 2017 Rating: 5 "Madam, where are you going?" Aisha asked. It was just the two of us now, as Toke had finished her housemanship program a...

No comments: