THE AKWA IBOM EXPERIENCE - Bayo Adeyinka writes - Sirealsilver

728x90 AdSpace

THE AKWA IBOM EXPERIENCE - Bayo Adeyinka writes

Image may contain: 1 person


Eye Witness: Tomato, Onions, Toothpick and Akwa Ibom's Pencil Factory
I had just disembarked from my flight from Lagos and I usually love to take in my environment. It was my second time ever in Uyo. 


As we drove from the airport on Wednesday to Uyo Township, one billboard to my right caught my attention. 

No automatic alt text available.

It was about the opening of a toothpick and pencil factory. I just took it in my stride. Uyo was still as neat as the last time I was there. Well laid out roads and tarred even to inner streets. 

I regaled my colleague with information on my previous trip and how I felt so much at home in Uyo. I shared the story of my wonderful experience with Diamond Akpanika and his beautiful family. 

No automatic alt text available.

The taxi driver we picked up at the airport also told me his people love the Yorubas-especially if they're from Ogun, Ondo and Lagos States. I chuckled. Uyo taxi drivers are very neat and smart. The people are very warm and hospitable.

As soon as I checked into my hotel, I checked Facebook on my phone and the first thing I saw was a post by Borono Bassey on the pencil factory in Akwa Ibom. I remembered I saw a billboard around the airport advertising same. 

A coincidence? I decided to send a message to Borono on Facebook. I'd never met him but he was my friend on the social media platform. 

I wanted to see if I could gain access to the pencil factory to see things for myself. Almost immediately, he responded and promised to facilitate my access. 

Yesterday, after my business meeting which was the core purpose for visiting Uyo, I met up with Borono Bassey as I had some time to spare before my flight back to Lagos.

Bassey and I hugged like long lost friends. It was our first time of meeting physically. He told me how he has been following me for some time. Bassey is such a good fellow and his goodness radiated from his demeanor. 

How come Akwa Ibom has such a great cluster of good people? He took my colleague and I to the house of Engr Ufot Ebong, the Special Assistant to Governor Udom Emmanuel on Technical Matters and Due Process. He is also the Coordinator of Akwa Ibom Enterprise and Employment Scheme (AKEES).

Engr Ebong is very knowledgeable. For the first time, I was impressed with someone who assists or advises any Governor-and I've met many of them. 

He reeled out statistics with ease. He sounded like someone on top of his job. He was very engaging and responded as I threw question after question to him. 

He was open. He told me the concept of AKEES and how Akwa Ibom State Government has created hubs around the State to facilitate development and growth. I was particularly fascinated about the concept of SHARED AND COMMON FACILITIES. 

He explained that several small industries are located in the same place and share common facilities- the same power, multiple equipments and other co-location benefits. 

In essence, the average cost of doing business to a budding entrepreneur will come down drastically due to this shared facilities idea. 

Just imagine a common facility for tailors! Each tailor does not have to buy a sewing machine, overlocking machine, stoning machine, button-hole machine among others. These equipments are provided in multiples and each tailor can take their turn to use them. Wow!

Engr Ebong shared with me how both the pencil factory and the toothpick factory share the same facility. The pencils are made from recycled newspaper and are environmental friendly- there is no cutting down of trees. 

They also use the slip-free technology which is the first in Africa. I listened intently as he told me how the cost of old newspapers has gone up because of the demand. 

He told me the country spends N750b annually on importation of pencils and $18m on the importation of toothpick. 

He explained how they use bamboo for the production of toothpicks, how the pencil factory produces about 12 different brands and 180,000 pencils per day. 

The toothpick factory produces 80kg per day. The factory was opened in November 2016- just a few months ago.

As I asked him several questions, he shared the stories of News Slide, Sunick Clothiers and Wax Up- three micro enterprises that is one of the 85 success stories since the advent of AKEES. 

I was fascinated by the story of Wax Up which is just a shoe shining business that now has signed on about 100,000 clients at N3,000 each per client. 

I read up on Sunick and learnt that the company has been contracted to provide jerseys for the football team Akwa United.

And then, our discussions veered into agriculture. I was told that 22 different vegetables are now being grown in Akwa Ibom. Inwardly, I chuckled. I know politicians have a way of embellishing every information. 

But when he mentioned that they grow onions, he must have seen the look of disbelief on my face. He told me there are several farms located around Akwa Ibom and asked me to come along to a demonstration farm to see for myself. By that time, it had started drizzling but I was very curious. 

In spite of the light showers of rain, we went around several sections of different farms scattered around the area. I saw a tomato farm that had already fruited. I even plucked a tomato. 

Together with the tomato farm were about two fish ponds that contained 6,000 units of catfish. He explained that the water from the catfish is used in irrigation farming for the tomatoes. 

I saw an onion farm. Engr Ebong uprooted one for me just to be sure. I saw a cabbage farm. Overall, there are 8 hectares of cabbage farms and 40 hectares of tomato farms all over Akwa Ibom. 

He mentioned that Akwa Ibom consumes about N1.3b of tomatoes monthly. That is about 2,800 metric tonnes. To him, there is no reason why Akwa Ibom cannot grow their own vegetables. 

One other fascinating issue was the workers on the farms. I was told they protect the farms because they will share 10% of the profit apart from their wages.

When I asked him how much the government had spent on the agricultural revolution, his response shocked me. It was nothing. 

What the government does is to marry land owners with the owners of farm inputs and machineries and they can work out a profit-sharing arrangement after harvest. He stated that so many fallow land owners have keyed into the scheme.

I had heard enough. I wanted to see the pencil and toothpick factory myself. Engr Ebong called the General Manager of the factory to grant us access. 

After we drove for almost an hour, we got to the factory. I actually saw a group of Science Teachers who came for an excursion to the factory. Both the toothpick and pencil factory are under the same roof. 

I went through the various sections as I saw pencils of various brands being manufactured. I watched as the slip-free technology was demonstrated. 

I saw how they wrapped the old newspapers around the graphites. I saw how erasers were fixed at one end and how the pencils are cut to shape. 

I was shown how they can customize the pencils for different companies and events. The only downside for me was that the graphites and erasers were still imported content. 

Can't we make erasers in Nigeria? I went through the toothpick section and observed how bamboo is turned to toothpick. I took a few pictures and had to leave to catch my flight.
My take-aways:

1. Akwa Ibom has made progress and built on the achievements of the last government. This is the first working pencil and toothpick factory in Nigeria. 

They need to go a step further by ensuring the factory is run commercially with no involvement from politicians. The government should just continue to ensure an enabling environment for these kind of businesses.

2. There should be a projection of when 100% local content will be achieved on the pencil factory.

3. I don't know what they discuss at the Nigeria Governors Forum but these kind of ideas need to be shared among the Governors. 

The idea of common shared facilities will spur a phenomenal growth across all the states. I can imagine a shared facility for ICT and the impact on innovation. 

I've often wondered why Governors need to travel abroad to look for investors when they can cross fertilize ideas with their peers and adopt best practices.

4. Can states begin to seriously explore handshake across various areas? For instance, graphite is present in Kaduna and Kogi States. It's just like the idea of Lagos and Kebbi rice. We need more of this kind of collaboration.

4. Akwa Ibom Government needs to let the citizens understand what it is doing and the far reaching impact on the future of the State. There is an obvious communication gap.

5. States need to consider this kind of empowerment scheme- not one where stipends are given out to unemployed citizens who will still continue to look for employment from the government. 

But one where citizens are actually empowered through the provision of facilities and an enabling environment to take control of their future.

6. I do not hesitate to add that South West states are living in past glory. While we have remained stagnant and even regressed, others are catching up on us. Apart from Lagos, there is dearth of ideas everywhere. 
Very soon, the pencils and toothpick from Akwa Ibom will flood everywhere. What are you sending back in return?

7. Before someone comes to say I'm celebrating mediocrity in the form of pencils and toothpicks, let me say that I am celebrating baby steps but sure steps. I am celebrating hope. I am celebrating new ideas and concepts. 

No one has asked for rocket science technology but if we can produce the everyday basic things that we use, we can get ready for a greater phase.

The Akwa Ibom story needs to be told very well.

Thank you, Borono Bassey.
Dakkada!
Bayo Adeyinka
26/05/2017
THE AKWA IBOM EXPERIENCE - Bayo Adeyinka writes Reviewed by sirealsilver on May 26, 2017 Rating: 5 Eye Witness: Tomato, Onions, Toothpick and Akwa Ibom's Pencil Factory I had just disembarked from my flight from Lagos and I u...

No comments: